Weight Loss for Busy Moms
You want to lose weight. You see your body changing in a way that DOES NOT make you excited. You remember the days when you could walk the beach confidently or look in the mirror and think, “Damn I look GOOD!” You have the motivation and desire to make some changes, but you just can’t find the time. Does this sound like YOU? Weight loss for busy moms is a topic I speak about regularly at the gym. Between kids, work, husbands and a thousand other things, spending hours at the gym just doesn’t seem realistic. Well, I’m here to shoot you straight. For most people, spending hours at the gym ISN’T realistic. The good news is that you don’t have to spend hours at the gym to see results. You don’t need to come in and lift weights for an hour then spend another hour on the treadmill jogging your life away. You shouldn’t have to stress about exercise. Exercise should be your outlet, your escape from the responsibilities of every day life. Whether it’s 15 minutes or 60 minutes, exercise should be your break. It should be a breath of fresh air! The benefits of exercise, even if only 15 minutes per day, can lead to a happier and healthier life. The Mayo Clinic states that simply exercising consistently can help participants control weight, combat numerous health conditions and diseases, improve mood, boost energy, promote better sleep, and IMPROVE your sex life. At this point, you might be wondering how 15 minutes of exercise is going to make a difference for you. What can you do in 15 minutes that will help you lose weight? Read on to find out!
Top 5 Weight Loss Tips for Busy Moms
1. Find 15-30 minutes EVERY DAY for yourself to de-stress. Everyone can find 15-30 minutes per day of down time. Make it a point to give yourself some ME time. By taking time to yourself, you can allow your body and mind to de-stress. Hormones play a BIG role in weight management (especially for mature women). Increased levels of stress will lead to higher levels of cortisol in the body. Cortisol will make you crave those delicious little snacks that lead to weight gain. Therefore, by simply taking the time to de-stress, you lower your levels of cortisol and reduce your appetite and cravings, leading to weight loss. Couple that with exercise, and you’ll create an even larger calorie deficit and build some muscle to get that toned look. Check out this article for more in-depth information about stress and hormones.
2. Stock your fridge and pantry with convenient, healthy foods. It’s easy to grab a Chewy bar or Peach Cobbler Yoplait Yogurt when you’re late and still trying to get the kids ready, but if you’re trying to lose that pesky belly fat or hip fat, it isn’t a smart choice. Oftentimes, we shop for kids and family and not ourselves. Take the time to buy a few extra items for mom instead of eating whatever is fast and easy. Read my post about some of the best weight loss foods for some easy ideas.
3. EAT MORE! This is especially important if you’re exercising (which you better be after reading this article). You can not starve your way to a healthier, better looking body. By not eating consistently throughout the day, you put your body into starvation mode. When this happens, your body hoards any fat it can get from the food you do eat, so it may feel like you’re hardly eating, but still gaining fat! Our bodies are smart and adapt to our diet. If you’re trying to live on incredibly low calorie diets, your body will wise up and hold onto the few calories it does get. In addition to that (as if that isn’t horrible enough!), by starving yourself you increase stress thus increasing Cortisol (cravings anyone?). You’ll feel cranky, unmotivated, tired and you’ll sleep worse! So what do you do? You eat a healthy amount of food. The key is to eat healthy foods, not convenient foods (see number 2 for ideas). Fuel your body appropriately and it will take care of itself.
4. Learn about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). If you’re a busy mom looking for exercise tips, this is your bread and butter. HIIT packs an hour on the treadmill into 20-30 minutes. Numerous studies show the benefits of HIIT – increased VO2 max, fat loss, muscle definition, decreased cravings, lower blood pressure, lower risk for heart disease, and more . HIIT can be done on the treadmill, outdoors, on a Spin bicycle, on an Arc Trainer, and just about anywhere else! All you need is your body and a lot of effort! More on this later in the article.
5. Get a routine. Finding time to exercise becomes a lot easier when you and everyone around you knows when you’re going to do it. Try to find a time first thing in the morning, or right after you drop the kids off, or right after you put the kids to bed. By finding a time that works for you almost every day, exercise becomes a habit. You unconsciously start planning around your exercise time instead of trying to fit it in here or there. The same goes for everyone who knows about it. By making it clear that this is your 15-30 minutes to exercise, those around you unconsciously start to work around that time. Getting into a routine and building an exercise habit is very important when you’re busy with other things, especially if you’re a busy mom trying to lose weight.
There you have it! Those are five of my best tips about weight loss for busy moms. Follow those as closely as you can and you will start to see changes in your mood and your body!
HIIT for Busy Moms – Make the Most of Your Workouts
In number 4, I promised more about HIIT. As I said, HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. It can consist of body weight exercises, treadmill work, Spin classes, and many other things. If you’re a busy mom constantly on the move, HIIT is super convenient because you don’t need any equipment if you don’t have it readily available! You’ll also be able to utilize EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption), which is the wild card for burning fat. Studies show that HIIT is far more effective for burning calories than steady state cardio and the hormones produced during HIIT are much more beneficial for weight loss and building muscle definition. The combination of EPOC, high amounts of calories being burned, hormonal benefits and short workouts makes HIIT the perfect exercise regimen for busy moms looking to lose weight.
Click here and enter your email address and I will send you a workout for busy moms designed to burn maximum calories and increase muscle definition in just 15 minutes! You can also “Like” my Facebook Page and Follow me on Twitter for more workout tips and nutrition info!